Friday, April 9, 2010

Transference

Hey everyone-
Sorry it's been sofa king long. To make it up to you, I am making a new line of music reviews. I hope you enjoy them. Here's my first one, on Spoon's recent album "Transference."

First of all, let me tell you that I am pretty much Spoon's biggest fan. Ever. My life goal is to go to a Spoon concert. Honestly. I loved Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and Gimme Fiction the most, and the others were pretty decent too. So, as you might expect, I was totally psyched for the release of their first album since 2007 (thanks a lot for the wait, by the way). But, when I heard Transference, I was extremely underwhelmed. And that is one of the biggest understatements I have ever made.

Transference did not meet my expectations. It just didn't have that passion and awesomeness that I heard in Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. I wonder what happened. But I suppose after eight full releases, you eventually run out of good material. Kidding. But still, it was not impressive. The saddest part of it was the only two songs I liked where the hyped-up Written In Reverse and the one that is only like two minutes long, Is Love Forever? because of the line "I grew up in a supermarket..." because I love their normally hilariously queer lines. Not anymore. I laughed for a minute and a half, then never laughed again. It was not powerful, it had unimpressive guitar parts, and honestly, I think Spoon depended on their lovable raw sound a little too much on this one.

Overall, this is not a Spoon album I recommend. It does not show their real potential and skill as a band, which they sure as hell have.

NO DISCO TOAST,
BirthdayBoyBikeJack

No comments:

Post a Comment